BOTOX Do’s and Don’ts – Moira’s List
Our nurse injector, Moira Ljungquist, RN, loves helping people look and feel their best. Recently, she’s been seeing a lot of patients interested in BOTOX and has come up with a list of do’s and don’ts for anyone considering the treatment.
DO BEFORE TREATMENT
Two Weeks Before
Do schedule your cosmetic consultation at least two weeks before any special occasion, event or vacation as slight bruising sometimes occurs, and full results of BOTOX may not appear for 4 – 7 days.
- When you book your appointment, please let our staff know if have a history of cold sores as we may prescribe a round of anti-viral medication prior to your treatment.
- Don’t forget to sign up for Brilliant Distinctions! Its a program, free to join, that rewards you with savings on future injections of BOTOX, Juvederm, Voluma and other Allergan products. Sign up here.
One Week Before
- If possible, do not take anti-inflammatory or blood thinning medications such as aspirin, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Aleve vitamin E, ginkgo biloba, ginseng, St. John’s Wort, Omega 3s and Fish Oil supplements. These medications increase the risk of bruising and swelling, but if you need to take a pain medication, Tylenol is okay.
Two Days Before
- Do not use Retin-A, Retinol or any other skincare products that may increase irritation of the skin.
- Do not consume alcoholic beverages at least 24 hours prior to treatment as it can also thin blood and increase the risk of bruising.
Day of Treatment
- Be sure to eat something before your procedure to decrease the chances of lightheadedness.
- Be honest with your provider about your medical history and current prescription list, and don’t be shy to ask all of your questions.
DO POST TREATMENT
- For an hour after your treatment, we encourage patients to smile, frown, raise eyebrows and pucker their lips. This will help move BOTOX into place, but do not rub the injection sites with your hands as this may cause the BOTOX to seep into unwanted areas.
- While some patients return to work immediately after treatment, it’s a good idea not to lie down, perform strenuous activities or engage in vigorous exercise for about 6 hours after treatment.
- Do notify our office immediately (day or night) for a cold sore outbreak. Cold sores can lead to scarring.
- Do not receive facials or laser treatments after BOTOX for at least 10 days. Ask your provider if you are not sure about time frames of certain services.
If you have any additional questions that Moira has not addressed, please call our office at (650) 327-3232 and she will be glad to respond.